Here are some answers to frequently asked questions from the socializer group, personal accounts of people involved in the development of the Client and elsewhere. This is the first place where you should look for answers to your questions before asking in the group. If you've got a question that is not covered here, please ask us in Our VK group (in Russian), in our contact form at MCV Software (in English or Spanish) and someone will be happy to assist.
When a new version will be released?
Socializer is a project in constant evolving and development, as we want it to be as good as possible for most people. However, due to the normal complexity of projects growing up, plus the fact that we work on this project alongside with other projects, it is difficult to schedule releases periodically as most people probably would like to see. However, you always can find the latest available version of the application at the downloads page. We also tend to post about new releases in our VK group. We also collect a monthly summary of Socializer Releases, available in English and Spanish, in the Official MCV software website.
Why app controls don't look properly in the window?
We have received feedback about this situation, especially from partially sighted people, about the controls not fitting perfectly or some opportunity to use the available window space better in the application. Unfortunately this issue is due to the fact that we have to calculate, more or less, the proportion of the controls and the space they will take in the window manually and we have no way to see the result. In the near future we are going to add a few algorithms to deal with this kind of problems (control proportion and calculating window positions dinamically). The result should be a better looking of most controls (text controls are not in the list for now, unfortunately) and better distribution of the space. But take into account we are already working in the best approach to deal with this issue.
Where can I get more updates about the project?
If you enjoyed the project or just want to be sure you do not miss any important announcement from us, you can join our VK Group and get the latest news right there. We try to engage in the community with posts and polls whenever is possible, so we will build the future of socializer together. Also we post all releases or important news about Socializer. The group is mostly in Russian, although you can also read news about this projects in the MCV Software website, which offers release announcements and changelogs for this and other projects in English and Spanish.
How do i...
Play specific songs in a buffer?
If you have an audio buffer and want to play a subset of songs located in that buffer, you can select the tracks you want to play. In order to do so, just press space in the items you want to select. A checkbox will indicate if the item is being selected. Also, you should heard a sound indicating that selection. When you're moving along the list of items, a sound will be played when you are focusing an already selected item. If you want to unselect an item, just press space when you're on it. After you have selected everything, just press enter, or the play button, to play the list of selected tracks.
Open someone's wall, audios or videos buffer?
Socializer allows you to open special buffers which contain wall posts, audios or friends of VK users. You can do it by following this procedure:
- From the menu bar, select the buffer menu.
- Press in the new timeline option.
- From the first control, select the user for whom you want to create a buffer. You can type some characters of his/her name, or use the up and down arrow keys to navigate the user's list.
- By default you will create a buffer for wall posts. If you want to select something different, press tab and use the down arrow for choosing between posts, audio or friends.
- Press tab and select the OK button.
- The new buffer will be created in the 'new timelines' section and will be deleted when closing Socializer. Also, you can delete the buffer manually by going to the buffer and choosing 'delete buffer' from the buffer menu, located also in the menu bar
Report an error?
There are a few ways to report an error. You can use the method you like more, though we'd prefer to use the group to deal with issues, as the communication will be easier (we don't speak russian natively, thus is difficult to talk about software problems fluently).
- Our VK group is a good place to tell us about your issue with the application. There more people will read the same problem, thus we can have more info about an issue, also we can request for more info and reply you faster, fully in Russian.
- You can report issues by contacting us by using The MCV Software contact page. By using this form, we will file an issue report in the Official Socializer source code repository which will be fixed within our possibilities and spare time.
- You can contact the person behind Socializer directly in his VK profile. and let him know about the problem. This may work if the problem should not be public (for example, some important security problem present in socializer). This is the least suggested method because we cannot guarantee Manuel will reply quickly (He has quite a few things to do at the same time) and probably the reply will be in English. He can understand russian, but writing it by himself is still a difficult task.
Why Does Socializer...
Take a long time when starting up?
This is one of the most asked questions in our group. And, in order to explain it properly, let's talk a bit about some background.
Socializer requires to contact the VK API for retrieving all data associated to your account. As soon as Socializer starts, it will perform some tasks that can be summarized in the following short list:
- Check for updates (this is done in a different thread, so it doesn't count against the loading times).
- Authenticate in VK.
- Load main buffers: Home timeline, wall, audio, video and people buffers are loaded here.
- Load special buffers: Buffers like audio and video playlists are partially created, but we need to call VK API for some data.
- Create (but not load, yet) all conversation buffers.
- Start loading all conversation buffers.
- Start the chat server, thus allowing Socializer to receive messages and connection events in real time.
- If groups are created during startup, their buffers will be partially created.
- Socializer is fully loaded and ready to go.
As you probably noticed, if you try to do something during the tasks 5-8, probably the program will respond a bit slower, this is mostly because it is creating graphical controls and elements for the new dynamically created buffers. Take into account that the more items you load, more time it will take to load those. If you want to see some improvements in first load, try to reduce the number of items loaded from the preferences dialog.
Some people have suggested to start the chat server inmediately after we authenticate in VK. But, unfortunately, there are a few drawbacks about this approach, namely:
- You can't receive new messages if there are no conversation buffers ready to hold those.
- You can't receive notifications of friends online/offline if there are no buffers to place or remove them.
- That means, we will have to create all conversation buffers, load those and create people buffers, too. It doesn't reduce significantly the loading times, according to a few isolated experiments we have performed a while ago.
Does it mean Socializer will never load faster? not exactly. There are some techniques we could do for making things to go a bit faster, though this is still a work in progress and does not guarantee it will be applied in the future.